3.11.06

Artistic identity- identifying your themes as a Director

1st Part:
The Self-Inventory

To resume the major experiences of an entire life seems impossible, endless and it's probably hard to decide which experience could be more important than another.
Finally, I wrote these words, they appeared easily with an incredible abundance which was very surprising.
Then I tried to organize them into groups and actually even if my experiences were differents, there is always a common link between them. So it was hard to organize it, because I really wanted to resume it, moreover these groups were a little bit similar. Finally, I decided to organize it as concepts more than feelings.
There are finally 4 mainly groups about my inventory :

  • The change : change life, country, language, being adult, differents love for each relationship.
  • Schizophrenia : lunatic, contradiction, opposite feelings about a same situation, private life & public life.
  • Creativity : a way to express yourself, the feeling of the achievement, self confidence.
  • Expectation : my future, what I really want, daydreamer, love.

After examination, and a lot of reflexion, what I can think about a work produced by someone who had been through these experiences would be to focus on fear about his own future and also the wish to excel. He must be optimistic and able to step back. Actually, I feel closed to this conclusion, even if I think that I am different, there is always a link between the character and me...

2nd Part:
Alter Egos

My six character from literature or fiction with whom I have a special affinity are mainly character from film, because I don't really know a lot the English litterature ( except Bret Easton Ellis, Hubert Selby Jr, moreover they are American...). I have a lot of references in the French litterature, but it is mainly contemporary litterature like Amelie Nothomb, Patrick Declerck.
I decided to choose my characters in the cinema field except the 1st one.

Patrick Bateman - from American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis.
Seul Contre Tous - by Gaspard Noé (director of Irreversible).
Asia Argento - in Scarlett Diva by herself.
Tyler Durden - from Fight Club by David Fincher.
Ed Wood - by Tim Burton.
Rita - from Mulholland Drive by David Lynch.

And the six or eight characters from "reality" are mainly artists, they are a kind of a reference for me...
Floria Sigismondi - music video director.
Katie Jane Garside - Queen Adreena's singer.
Camille Rose Garcia - artist
Chloé Sevigny - actress.
Michel Gondry - music video director.
Harmony Korine - director.
Michael Pitt - actor.

The autoportrait would resume me as a provocative, subversive, imaginative, tabooless (?), odd and dark person.

To resume, I clearly identify what style of filmmaking the result suggests. It is obvious, after some observation, that my current work is very closed to that genre of filmmaking, it is probably thanks to my references, and I think that my references and the feelings which qualifies my experiences are very closed and similar, it is a kind of logical link. But I am afraid to be only focalized by this genre and not to be open to the others one, even if actually I am a filmgoer, and open minded about genres, my work could be clearly positionned. I will see... It is like the Clown script, I already have the image in my mind, I know what I want and actually there is a link with this exercise ( about the genre, the wish to create a music video...). To continue...

No comments: