10.12.06

Mise-en-scène seminar

How mise-en-scène elements work towards the themes of the film?
Visual style: I want to work on a kind of dark, saturated and blurred image to exaggerate the darkness of the main character, I also want to work on the visual transition, and playing with effects and the musical aspect of the script to direct it as a music video. I think it's a good way to mix my interests.
Actor blocking: I see the characters playing in a kind of triangle relationship, the compere toward the clown toward the audience, and oppositely. The clown could be in front of the audience, the compere hidden but observing the clown on the stage and the audience attitude.
Audio: I want the music to be diegetic (in a way), and use it like David Lynch in the scene of the theatre in Mulholland Drive, I want to trap the audience, to make them in trouble with the show of the clown, the reality, the way as it is visually directed... The music must be atmospheric, indirect, but for the real sounds, I want them diegetic, like in the music videos of Jonathan Glazer (Massive Attack : Karma Coma or Richard Ashcroft : Song for the Lovers), the real sounds are present, and they give more sense to the video.
Production: (editing?) I would like to play with the rythms and the beats, based on a music following the rythm of the script. Once based on the rythm of the music I want to work of the rythm of the video, with some slow shooting, and some fast ones (cf: J.Glazer/Radiohead : Street Spirit).
Camera: I want to work on differents way of filming by the frames (close up, a large view...), the speed, the point of view (from behind the characters, above , under...).

Though my mise-en-scène seems balanced or mixed, I think that the result will be what I am expecting for, I hope, I know what I want for this script, concerning the mise-en-scène. But I have to workmore on the psychological aspects, on the script itself.

No comments: